This is the second-to-last post for the QAL - it feels like we just started yesterday! Can you all believe we've been working toward this since August?? Wow!
Today we're going to talk about how to finish your quilt.
Putting it all together
As I'm waiting to quilt my own Marcelle, I haven't finished my back or basted it together. (And of course I didn't take a photo of my first Marcelle!) Instead, if you are planning to machine-quilt this, I must point you in the direction of this excellent tutorial by Rita of Red Pepper Quilts. I can highly recommend the taping, and even though I just survive with sore fingers, I do have a Kwik Klip and they are quite handy for pin basting.
Alexia suggests an all-over stipple, to let the piecing shine through, but, having done that with my first Marcelle, I would suggest taking your time and really having a play. It's a manageable size for free-motion quilting - most machines could comfortably take this quilt - and the piecing is little which means you can really enjoy yourself and try out new patterns!
If you are thinking of hand-quilting, I really loved Svetlana's traditionally hand-quilted Marcelle and Cassie has a great Marcelle she quilted with perle cotton.
It's the very final giveaway for our Marcelle Medallion Quilt-Along, and it is CHOCK FULL of some lovely things!!
Firstly, I'm going to rather shamelessly plug my friends Danielle and Jeannette. These girls started out as Instagram friends and constantly inspire me with their amazing taste in fabric as well as their gorgeous quilts! Imagine my excitement when they decided to put their great taste forth and open a quilt shop, Polka Dot Tea!
They have so generously donated a fat quarter bundle of these gorgeous cotton-linen print fat quarters from Kei for the final giveaway!
And for more of the final giveaway...
Two teensy cute stamp sets, cloud sticky notes, a ball of Valdani perle 8 to get your hand-quilting started, a journal to record your hopes & dreams, Paper Towels by dirtsastudio, a personal library kit so you can keep track of your quilting books, and a copy of Feathering The Nest by Bridgette Giblin!
- Please link to a photo of your Marcelle Medallion Quilt. It can be on Flickr, on Instagram, or on a blogpost.
- You must have started your Marcelle or completed most of it during this QAL.
- You get TWO entries if you have a finished quilt top and THREE entries if you have already quilted your Marcelle!
- You can also get another entry if you follow @polkadotteafabrics on Instagram and let me know you did so in the comments!
- It should go without saying...but if you're not participating in the QAL, then don't bother linking up - we'll check each entry twice, like SANTA does. :)
- International welcome of course!
Happy linking! Can't wait to draw this giveaway - closes at midnight on 4th of November so you have a few days!
Cheers, P xx